Re: First plans on a profiler

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: First plans on a profiler
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 19:23:33 +0200

On 05/25/11 17:48, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 25-May-2011, Daniel Kraft wrote:

| Hi John,
|
| On 05/25/11 16:15, John Swensen wrote:
|>  Isn't the profiler going to essentially be a modified tree_walker/executer?
|
| first regarding the singleton discussion, I think both making it a
| singleton and not doing so are possible options (for me) -- and it seems
| to me that it shouldn't be too hard to convert if we later want to have
| multiple profilers available sometime.
|
| Regarding your statement above:  I don't yet know tree_walkers or
| executors in octave, but as I understand it, the profiler class will
| rather be just the one that keeps track of all the data and relates it
| to the call-tree or at least list of functions; and finally later
| returns the profile-data in some "useful" fashion.  The integration with
| tree-execution will be such that the ordinary execution routines check a
| flag and if we're profiling make some calls to the profiler-class to
| tell it when a particular function enters/exits and the like.

I think you would only need to touch the tree_evaluator class (from
pt-eval.cc) if you want to do statement-level profiling.  So far, I
think we are only talking about doing per-function profiling, right?

Yes. Statement-level or possibly something in-between might be a next step, but I also want to plan, implement and test function-leven for now only.

Daniel

--
http://www.pro-vegan.info/