task tracker enabled (was: Re: Schedule for 3.4.1)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: task tracker enabled (was: Re: Schedule for 3.4.1)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 13:42:03 -0400

(http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Installation-Directory-Variables).
|  I know jwe had some concerns about parts of the patch supplied in the bug
| report, so I would urge just doing the minimal change and putting the
| libraries in libdir and not doing the rest of the naming changes.

Yes, we need to fix the library versioning problem and note the
incompatibilities before the release.  Fixing the installation
directory problem also seems like a good idea, but I'll have to look
at the bug report again.

To make sure that we remember these items, I enabled the task tracker
on savannah and added the three items above to it.  I also created an
address@hidden mailing list to use for notifications,
same as we have for the bug and patch trackers.

My intent is to use the task tracker as the place to note what things
should be done before the next release, but I also allowed for a "wish
list" category.

If you have other tasks that should be completed before the next
release, please add them as new and separate items.

The mailing list and task tracker are currently only accessible to
Octave group members on savannah.  My reasoning for limiting access is
that we don't need to give the impression that random people are
allowed to tell us what our priorities are, or what tasks we should
work on.  They seem perfectly capable of using the bug tracker and the
mailing lists to do that.