Re: Separation into dock widgets

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Separation into dock widgets
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 20:06:58 -0400

On Apr 29, 2011, at 4:50 PM, Jacob Dawid wrote:

> [...]

Jacob,
I also noticed that in your reimplementation of the some of the functionality
of fetching variables that you are actually doing a deep copy of the whole
symbol table at the current scope.  Maybe those that know the Octave internals
better can correct me, but I think this is a really bad idea for memory
reasons.  If someone has a very large matrix and you do a deep copy, I think it
will duplicate all the contents of the variables and it is an unnecessary
duplication of memory usage.  That is the reason that in the original
octave_server class I simply had it transferring the variable name, type, size,
and some other info from Octave to the IDE and there was a mechanism for the
user of the octave_server class to get the full contents of a specific variable
if explicitly requested.

John Swensen