Re: Successfully merged projects

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Successfully merged projects
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 06:45:39 -0400

On Apr 13, 2011, at 4:56 AM, Jacob Dawid wrote:

> I took the code of QtOctave as a text editor, it already has all necessary
> functions. If only possible I'd like to solve tasks like these without any
> external dependencies. I know there might be text editors that are very
> mighty in comparison to a primitive solution like this, but actually I didn't
> find any of them easy to integrate. They all build up their own interface as
> a standalone application, which might be quite confusing and lead to a
> strange interface regarding the whole thing.
>
> I prefer the idea of having a simple idea and an optional "Open in Emacs"
> button, which launches Emacs in a separate window.
>
> In the meantime we should build up an effective way of collecting issues.
> Since with Qt we have the possibility to integrate webpages at no cost, we
> could set up an online bugtracking service in which users can report issues
> anonymously. I added a "Service" tab, as you can see in the screenshot.
> Although github offers a bugtracking service, it has some disadvantages: It
> requires a user login and the page is not scalable, so it looks quite ugly
> when integrated. I'd rather vote for some simple system to replace that, so I
> put that open to discuss.
> <Service-Quint.png>

Jacob,
It is coming together nicely.  Is there a reason that the Command Window, File
Editor, Documentation, and Service widgets have to be tabbed like that?  I
usually work with my editor and command window visible at the same time.  Do
you have any objections to having everything be in a QDockWidget so things can
be arranged in whatever way the user sees fit to arrange it? Also, does the
QDockWidget interface only allow a left, right, top, and bottom widget?  Is
there a way to achieve being able to put dock widgets 4, 5, or 6 wide.  My hope
was that the QDockWidgets would allow any arrangement possible, but it seems it
is designed to only allow center, left, right, top, and bottom.

John Swensen