Re: Successfully merged projects

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Successfully merged projects
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:37:48 -0400

On Apr 12, 2011, at 10:22 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 12-Apr-2011, Richard Crozier wrote:
>
> | It is this kind of assumption which is the one of the reasons you think
> | emacs is so simple, and I think it's so hard.
>
> I don't see it that way.  I was aware that I was using jargon, but
> decided that it would be insulting to tell you that the notation meant
> a control character, or how to type a control character, based on the
> fact that you seemed to have had some familiarity with trying Emacs in
> the past.
>
> | GNU emacs 21.4.1 is the version most easily available to me.
>
> OK, that is pretty old by now.  I'm most interested in trying to
> understand whether it is really difficult to start using Emacs for
> simple tasks using the current Emacs, not a version that is about a
> decade old now (seriously, even though 21.4 was released in 2005, the
> 21.x release series started in 2001).
>
> | I have actually
> | got it working when connecting from a different machine, but now another
> | example of difficulty. I went to the help menu and clicked on 'show emacs
> | version', and the info was displayed at the bottom. I wanted to use the info
> | in this reply, so I thought I'd just copy and paste it, but clicking on the
> | area where it appeared made the info disappear and I get the message
> | 'Minibuffer window is not active'. This is not intuitive behaviour.
>
> I agree that is not helpful.  When I try this with Emacs 23, it opens
> up the *Messages* buffer showing the text from the minibuffer, from
> which I can cut and paste.  So that problem has apparently been fixed.
> It is still somewhat confusing in that you can't cut and pasted
> directly from the minibuffer, but at least it doesn't give a cryptic
> error message.
>
> | But I don't just want to just enter text, I'm only learning to use it so I
> | can use the Octave features!
> |
> | Another example, I choose 'open file' from the menu, I don't get a directory
> | browser or anything like that,
>
> Again, you are using a version that is very old now.  When I use the
> open file button with Emacs 23 on my system, I get the usual gtk/gnome
> file browser widget.
>
> | I get a message saying 'find file: ~/' at the
> | bottom. Now what should I do. Can I just type the file name and emacs will
> | magically find the file in my system, or must I know by heart the directory
> | location of the file? Can I navigate to a directory by typing some commands
> | or something? I haven't a clue.
>
> You have some familiarity with Unix systems, too, right?  So you
> probably know what a filename looks like and that ~/ represents your
> home directory?  Yes, you can just enter the filename.  TAB completion
> works, so it is relatively quick to find files this way.  But yes, I
> do understand the problem that if you have never seen a filename
> written out before with slashes used to separate directory names, this
> will be confusing.

> [...]

I use Emacs and like Emacs (or Aquamacs to be specific).  I think the confusion
and difference in opinion lies in the fact that *most* people who start using
Matlab or Octave have had most of their lifetime of computer training on a
Windows machine.  This is probably due to the fact that something like 90% of
all desktop machines in the world still run Windows.  Most peoples' experience
has also been with a word processor on Windows.  Word processors on Windows
(and applications in general) have things like copy, paste, open file, etc.
that are pretty standard across all applications.  When someone is beginning to
take up a new program to do their work (say an engineering freshman in college
or a seasoned biologist who want to start using Matlab/Octave for their
statistical computation rather than some other software), I think they often
want to just get stuff done.  They want something that looks "normal" and feels
"normal".  "Normal" to most people is word processing behavior on Windows.  I
am positive that once people learn Matlab/Octave they start to find ways to be
more productive, but initially they just want to get science/engineering done.
After even a few weeks of using Emacs my first time, I felt I had been
retrained in how to do all my common editing tasks in the Emacs-way, but some
people don't have time or emotional energy to learn two things at once.  Oft
times there are other extenuating circumstances that make it prohibitive (a
paper or grant deadline, for example).

John