Re: Successfully merged projects

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Successfully merged projects
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 07:55:01 -0500

2011/4/11 Michael Goffioul <address@hidden>:
> 2011/4/11 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
>> As I was telling Jacob earlier today in IRC, I don't think it's too
>> early to start thinking about how to place this in the Octave source
>> tree (perhaps under a gui/ directory from the top), in particular with
>> regards to the VCS (hg) and the build system.
[snip]
>> In fact, it's probably a good idea to think about this earlier rather
>> than later.

> Believe it or not, but imo qmake is probably more portable than autotools
> to other platforms/compilers.

Maybe, maybe not. Autotools solve a portability problem no other build
system solves by compiling on more Unices you even knew existed. If
qmake is the proper build system to keep working with, it still should
be integrated with the rest of the Octave build system.

> Also I don't think it's necessary to put the GUI source code as a subdir
> of the main octave source tree.

The 3.6 release goal, as expressed by jwe, is to give Octave a GUI.
Quint can be its development codename, but in the end it should just
be called "Octave", and it should be just another component of Octave.
So it should be something that gets (optionally) built when you build
the rest of Octave.

- Jordi G. H.