Re: Damaged hg repo? Where did the tags go?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Damaged hg repo? Where did the tags go?
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 19:10:49 -0500

2011/4/6 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
> On  3-Apr-2011, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> | > |
> | > |

> | > If I run "hg tags" on my local archive, I get the tags listed in
> | > .hgtags plus tags for release-3-4-0, ss-3-3-92, ss-3-3-91, and
> | > ss-3-3-90.  Looking at http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/tags
> | > shows these additional tags as well.  I don't know why .hgtags is
> | > incomplete.
> |
> | Are you able to update to those tags? I get
> |
> |     address@hidden:~/coding/vcs/octave$ hg up release-3-0-1
> |      abort: address@hidden: no node!
> |
> | which certainly sounds like something's amiss.
>
> I don't see a tag "release-3-0-1" in my .hgtags file or in the output
> from "hg tags".

No, but it used to be there. And it's in .hg/cache/tags and you'll see
when it was added if you do "hg log .hgtags". Same for the 3.2.x
release tags.

I have an inkling of what happened. The things those tags were
pointing at got squashed when the two branches got closed. Then those
tags remained in some places with dangling references. I'm not sure if
this is an hg bug or in hgtk where I saw the problem, or not a bug at
all. At any rate, if you want to update to the intermediate release
tags we used to have, they seem to no longer be there.

- Jordi G. H.