Re: commit string format

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: commit string format
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 07:52:30 -0600

On 29 March 2011 12:49, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 10:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>> If so, should we uniformise the syntax for
>> closing bugs in the ChangeLogs or hg commit messages? I'm thinking of
>> adopting Debian's syntax that simply looks like this: (closes:
>> #NNNNNN).
>
> I don't mind a convention for this.  Could it be shorter with '(bug
> #NNNNN)' or even '(#NNNNN)'?

I like the former suggestion. Can we adopt it, then? It's a tad easier
to write "hg log | grep bug" and get fairly good results than "hg log
| grep -p '\(\#{\d}{4,6}\)'" or similar. While we are still following
the transplant patches release model, it could help for identifying
patches that ought to go on the stable release.

Perhaps with time we could even write hg server hooks that
automatically parse the commit messages and associate the commit to a
bug report.

- Jordi G. H.