Re: [OctDev] munge-texi problem with static library build

From: Rob Frohne
Subject: Re: [OctDev] munge-texi problem with static library build
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 21:47:21 -0700

Hi Dan and Ric,

Thanks for the advice. I'm finished with this quarter and the class has balanced their inverted pendulums using Octave 3.4 on Ubuntu, with two machines for 20 students, which was difficult. Fortunately the PC lab has MATLAB and it is pretty close to Octave. I may be teaching the class again next quarter due to medical problems in my colleague's family. I was trying to get ready for that. My problem is that the administrator has a policy that he won't install anything not in the RPM's and he won't upgrade Redhat to version 6 until next summer at the earliest, and he won't allow me sudo privileges. He spent a few minutes trying to compile octave too, but gave up quickly. The RPM version on Redhat 5 is Octave 3.0.xx, which doesn't have the features I need in the area of state space control.

I think having the ability to build a static executable is useful, and I'd like to not give up on this. I did fix the issue you mentioned with the make file, by editing it to replace five spaces with a tab. Perhaps I should file a bug on this, and work on it when I get back from Spring Break.

Thanks for the help!

Rob