libexec for packages

From: Orion Poplawski
Subject: libexec for packages
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 22:21:26 -0700

In the process of coming up with packaging guidelines for octave packages in Fedora, the issue of package install location has come up. It has been suggested that the binary components of octave packages be installed in /usr/lib{,64}/octave rather than /usr/libexec/octave. I agree that this is more compliant with current standards. Thoughts? Are there packages that install stand alone executables that would still belong in /usr/libexec? I don't know of any. Looks like there may be some .mex files there, are they even useful?

Thanks!

- Orion Poplawski