Re: Subplot demo performance

From: bpabbott
Subject: Re: Subplot demo performance
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 19:24:34 +0000 (GMT)

On Mar 02, 2011, at 12:08 PM, logari81 <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 14:53 +0100, Konstantinos Poulios wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Feb 16, 2011, at 4:55 AM, Konstantinos Poulios wrote:
> >
> >> After recent changes in the calculation of axes
> >> position/outerposition, Ben observed very long rendering delay for the
> >> 1st subplot demo. Since I cannot reproduce this problem I start this
> >> new thread in order to ask for some testing from others, so that we
> >> can narrow down the cause for this regression.
> >>
> >> @Ben, since you are the one who can reproduce this issue I would
> >> suggest to start with some more basic tests than the subplot demo, so
> >> e.g. you can try:
> >>
> >> 1. Drawing a grid of 3x3 plot with no data and axes labels/titles.
> >>
> >> 2. Add some data to the plots
> >>
> >> 3. Add titles
> >>
> >> 4. Add axes labels
> >>
> >> Depending on the delay you observe in these tests we will be able to
> >> narrow down the problem a bit.
> >>
> >> BR
> >>
> >> Kostas
> >>
> >> P.S. Once we resolve this I will open a new thread for the subplot layout issue.
> >
> > I've attached a script. The results for gnuplot are
> >
> > 1. Drawing a grid of 3x3 plot: 0.49 secs
> > 2. Add some data to the plots: 1.78 secs
> > 3. Add titles: 1.90 secs
> > 4. Add axes labels: 5.21 secs
> >
> > For fltk, the results are nearly identical.
> >
> > 1. Drawing a grid of 3x3 plot: 0.50 secs
> > 2. Add some data to the plots: 1.81 secs
> > 3. Add titles: 1.93 secs
> > 4. Add axes labels: 5.36 secs
> >
> > Ben
> >

> nice script, so most time is spent when labels are added. It is
> strange however that on my system it runs significantly faster, and
> there is no significant delay in comparison to octave 3.4.0. These are
> my results with 3.4.0:
>
> 1. Drawing a grid of 3x3 plot: 0.09 secs
> 2. Add some data to the plots: 0.27 secs
> 3. Add titles: 0.29 secs
> 4. Add axes labels: 0.66 secs
>

> And with the current development version:
>
> 1. Drawing a grid of 3x3 plot: 0.09 secs
> 2. Add some data to the plots: 0.26 secs
> 3. Add titles: 0.29 secs
> 4. Add axes labels: 0.73 secs
>
> The results with gnuplot and fltk are identical. Extra delay is
> observed only for test #4 and it is about 10% in comparison to 3.4.0.
> Could you maybe provide results with 3.4.0 also? In any case five
> seconds are too long and we should try to do some optimization.
>
> Kostas

I have tried to remove some redundant calls from subplot.m:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/ce831dc80bdb

do you observe any performance improvement or any functionality
regressions?

Kostas

I've pulled and built with tip below

$ hg tip
changeset:   12494:ce831dc80bdb
tag:         tip
user:        Konstantinos Poulios <address@hidden>
date:        Wed Mar 02 18:03:32 2011 +0100
summary:     small optimization in subplot.m

The results are now ...

1. Drawing a grid of 3x3 plot: 0.57 secs
2. Add some data to the plots: 1.43 secs
3. Add titles: 1.55 secs
4. Add axes labels: 4.52 secs

Ben