'make check' target

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: 'make check' target
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 16:54:17 -0500

On 22-Feb-2011, Rik wrote:

| One of those small annoyances is running 'make check' which compiles all,
| runs the tests, and then produces another page worth of output ending with:
|
| -------------------------------------------------------------------
| Octave successfully built.  Now choose from the following:
|
|    ./run-octave    - to run in place to test before installing
|    make check      - to run the tests
|    make install    - to install (PREFIX=/home/rik/downloads/local)
|
| -------------------------------------------------------------------
|
| First, the extra page means I have to scroll back to see whether the tests
| passed; second, I already know all about the 'make check' option because I
| just used it.
|
| What about the attached tiny changeset which adds an explicit check target
| to the makefile and stops this issue.

Yes, this would help.

What do you think about also adding other checks to this target, like
a check to ensure that source files don't use TAB characters or
trailing spaces, maybe your spelling and grammar checks, a test to
ensure that there are no syntax errors in .m files, and other things
like that?  Or should those checks be separate from "make check"?