Re: looking ahead to 3.6

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: looking ahead to 3.6
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:52:54 -0500

On 02/14/2011 09:17 AM, John Swensen wrote:

So what is the consensus?  Should I give up on GTK+ for OctaveDE and
switch to QT?  With the QTermWidget, I will cover at least as many
platforms as OctaveDE currently supports (I guess Windows worked with
a lot of arm twisting).  At some point, someone (Michael if he finds
time) will need to address the terminal emulator widget on Windows,
but in the meantime the rest of the functionality can be developed on
other platforms.  The OpenGL issue will definitely be easier,
cross-platform consistency will be better, I'm not sure about the
ease of making an editor, but I'm assuming that is a wash.  There can
probably also be a lot of cross-pollination with QtOctave also.

I see few downsides and many upsides.  What do others think
(particularly those who make visionary decisions about the future of
Octave)?

I certainly don't have creds to suggest the GUI development direction, but I'd ask anyway: have people considered using Eclipse? I know quite a few projects, free and commercial, that decided to hitch with Eclipse for GUI. Some of them (*) seem to be similar to Octave in being originally commandline-based, but benefiting from GUI features such as code editing/refactoring/debugging, hooks to version control and issue tracking systems, etc. Many such modules are already provided in a platform-independent way by Eclipse.

I know that Eclipse has a defined extension plugin architecture, providing API for new languages and modules. I haven't used it though. Did someone smarter than myself look at it yet? Would it be feasible to interface Octave to it?

greetings

przemek klosowski

(*) I am thinking of several microcontroller cross-compilers and development toolchains that used to have a proprietary environment but switched to Eclipse. Of course Eclipse itself is Java based so I suppose it is subject to the caveats others mentioned re. Oracle/Sun, but I can't imagine that Eclipse would lose its cross-platform support in any foreseeable future because too many things depend on it.