Re: gEdit as an Octave gui ?

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: gEdit as an Octave gui ?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:24:50 -0500

On Feb 11, 2011, at 2:45 AM, Levente Torok wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Honestly, I fell in love with gEdit in the past year.
> This seems to be a well written editor app and, as for python, it is fairly
> easy to use along with its plugin-ed terminal window as octave dev
> environment.
> This is not worse than any other existing version (QtOctave) but it it very
> nice from the point of plugin capabilities.
> So if someone decides to write an IDE for octave I suggest to have a look at
> it first and consider writing  a plugin instead (not forgetting the good old
> pipe problem).
> As I see, even python guys started to write a debugger as a plugin
> (octave-dev might do the same) and it is available for windows, too.
> As it has a C project plugin I usually use for C coding too.
>
> Lev

gedit is based upon a GTK widget called GtkSourceView.  That is what I have
been using for OctaveDE.  It is quite full-featured and already has syntax
highlighting for Octave and has additional features not shown in gedit like
providing a gutter for putting debugging icons, handling mouseovers of text,
and autocompletion (I haven't incorporated mouseovers or autocompletion in the
OctaveDE editor).  The only problem with building from scratch with
GtkSourceView is that while you get an editor that is integrated with Octave,
you have to do a lot of work that is already done in a very complete editor
like Gedit.  Maybe starting with the Gedit sources and modifying them for
Octave would be more ideal.

John Swensen