Re: Ubuntu and Debian packaging

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and Debian packaging
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 00:58:02 +0100

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 09:00:41AM -0600, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> 2011/2/10 Thomas Weber <address@hidden>:
> > On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 08:53:10AM -0600, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> >> I'm going to subscribe pkg-octave-devel to the Octave Ubuntu bugs so
> >> that at least we hear about them.
> >
> > No, you will not! Ubuntu decides what they ship and what not, in what
> > version, with whatever default compiler flags, with whatever additional
> > patches, ...
> >
> > They ship it, they handle it. They take the praise, they take the blame.
> > Period.
>
> I don't think this is a good idea. Like it or not, the vast majority
> of users of our Debian package are in Ubuntu, and there is no one in
> Ubuntu watching them. Ubuntu users can't tell the difference between
> Debian and Ubuntu, so if the Ubuntu package is wrong, *we* get the
> blame. It's not helpful to be, if you'll pardon the phrase, tribal
> here. If we are doing this because we want to help other people, the
> best way to help them right now is to at least occasionally glance at
> what Ubuntu is doing, because that's how we reach the largest number
> of people.

Why does anybody think that I'm opposed to Ubuntu? I don't care, one
way or another. If anybody cares about Ubuntu, open an account in
Launchpad and start working. It's not like I'm any sort of gatekeeper
here.

I don't work with Octave and package it to help other people. I started
doing it because it helped *me* and it was fun. I don't use Octave
anymore at all and so I continue doing it just because it's fun.

        Thomas