Re: newbie who can't edit

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: newbie who can't edit
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 15:20:49 -0600

On 29 January 2011 13:23, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2011, at 1:06 PM, Vokey, John wrote:

>> I just type edit at the prompt, and octave becomes completely unresponsive.
>
> I got that. I'd like to patch Octave so that the freeze doesn't happen.

There's the editing mode variable that I don't really get why it even exists.

My .octaverc has

     edit mode async

perhaps this should just always be on? I can't imagine why one would
want Octave to wait on an editor process and be unresponsive in the
meantime.

Mr Vokey, can you check what happens if you first set that variable
and then try again to edit a file?

- Jordi G. H.