Successful 32-bit build of octave 3.3.54 on vanilla Mac Pro with Snow Le

From: Richard Campbell
Subject: Successful 32-bit build of octave 3.3.54 on vanilla Mac Pro with Snow Leopard, no Macports, no Fink
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 02:21:35 -0500

Here is my successful build of Octave 3.3.54 without Macports or Fink.

The result is a 32-bit application although it reports itself as being
configured for x86_64-apple-darwin10.6.0 when run. The --enable-64 switch,
which was my catalyst abandoning the prebuilt Octave.app, is ineffective since
'long' is only 4 bits long in 32 bit mode. If I try to make a 64-bit binary I
get configure: error: BLAS doesn't seem to support 64-bit integers. This is
incompatible with --enable-64.

It's not necessary for readline and fftw to be built as universal binaries but
there's no penalty to doing so (and I compile other code against fftw).

Successful build:

Late 2010 Mac Pro 12x2.93GHz i7, 12 GB RAM, Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.6

- Xcode 3.2.5
- gfortran 4.2.3 package distribution from http://r.research.att.com/tools
- gnu readline compiled as a universal binary:
export CFLAGS="-arch i686 -arch x86_64"
export LDFLAGS="-arch i686 -arch x86_64"
./configure --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr
- gnu automake, autoconf, sed, flex compiled with --prefix=/usr (not sure which
of these are ultimately necessary)
- fftw3 and fftw3f compiled as universal binaries:
export CFLAGS="-arch i686 -arch x86_64"
export FFLAGS="-arch i686 -arch x86_64"
export LDFLAGS="-arch i686 -arch x86_64"
./configure --disable-dependency-tracking && make && sudo make install
make clean
./configure --disable-dependency-tracking --enable-float && make && sudo make
install
- gnuplot compiled with no modifications
- octave 3.3.54 compiled with
export FFLAGS="-arch i686 -ff2c"
export CFLAGS="-arch i686"
export CPPFLAGS="-arch i686 -D_REENTRANT"
export LDFLAGS="-arch i686"
./configure --enable-docs=no

I can run it, plot stuff, and I am fine until I try this (which works from
within Octave.app on this machine):

print('-depsc','temp.eps')
warning: print.m: ghostscript not found in EXEC_PATH.
warning: print.m: Ghostscript binary is not available.
warning: print.m: epstool binary is not available.
warning: print.m: fig2dev binary is not available.
warning: print.m: pstoedit binary is not available.
error: invalid assignment to cs-list outside multiple assignment.
error: matrix cannot be indexed with {
error: evaluating argument list element number 3
error: called from:
error:   /Users/campbell/Downloads/octave-3.3.54/scripts/plot/print.m at line
377, column 9

Here's the output from configure:

Octave is now configured for x86_64-apple-darwin10.6.0

  Source directory:            .
  Installation prefix:         /usr/local
  C compiler:                  gcc   -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wformat -arch i686
-D_THREAD_SAFE -pthread
  C++ compiler:                g++  -I/usr/X11/include/freetype2
-I/usr/X11/include  -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -Wformat -g -O2
  Fortran compiler:            gfortran -arch i686 -ff2c
  Fortran libraries:            -L/usr/local/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.2.3
-L/usr/local/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.2.3/../../.. -lm -lgfortranbegin
-lgfortran
  Lex libraries:
  LIBS:                        -lm

  AMD CPPFLAGS:
  AMD LDFLAGS:
  AMD libraries:
  ARPACK libraries:
  BLAS libraries:              -framework vecLib
  CAMD CPPFLAGS:
  CAMD LDFLAGS:
  CAMD libraries:
  CARBON libraries:
  CCOLAMD CPPFLAGS:
  CCOLAMD LDFLAGS:
  CCOLAMD libraries:
  CHOLMOD CPPFLAGS:
  CHOLMOD LDFLAGS:
  CHOLMOD libraries:
  COLAMD CPPFLAGS:
  COLAMD LDFLAGS:
  COLAMD libraries:
  CURL CPPFLAGS:
  CURL LDFLAGS:
  CURL libraries:              -lcurl
  CXSPARSE CPPFLAGS:
  CXSPARSE LDFLAGS:
  CXSPARSE libraries:
  DL libraries:                -ldl
  FFTW3 CPPFLAGS:
  FFTW3 LDFLAGS:
  FFTW3 libraries:             -lfftw3
  FFTW3F CPPFLAGS:
  FFTW3F LDFLAGS:
  FFTW3F libraries:            -lfftw3f
  fontconfig CFLAGS:
  fontconfig LIBS:
  FT2_CFLAGS:                  -I/usr/X11/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11/include
  FT2_LIBS:                    -L/usr/X11/lib -lfreetype -lz
-Wl,-framework,CoreServices -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices
  GLPK CPPFLAGS:
  GLPK LDFLAGS:
  GLPK libraries:
  graphics CFLAGS:
  graphics LIBS:
  Magick++ CPPFLAGS:
  Magick++ LDFLAGS:
  Magick++ libraries:
  HDF5 CPPFLAGS:
  HDF5 LDFLAGS:
  HDF5 libraries:
  LAPACK libraries:
  OPENGL libraries:            -Wl,-framework -Wl,OpenGL
  PTHREAD flags:               -D_THREAD_SAFE -pthread
  PTHREAD libraries:
  QHULL CPPFLAGS:
  QHULL LDFLAGS:
  QHULL libraries:
  QRUPDATE libraries:
  READLINE libraries:          -lreadline
  REGEX libraries:
  TERM libraries:              -lncurses
  UMFPACK libraries:
  X11 include flags:
  X11 libraries:               -L/usr/X11/lib -lX11
  Z CPPFLAGS:
  Z LDFLAGS:
  Z libraries:                 -lz

  Default pager:               less
  gnuplot:                     gnuplot

  Do internal array bounds checking:  false
  Build static libraries:             false
  Build shared libraries:             true
  Dynamic Linking:                    true (dlopen)
  Include support for GNU readline:   true
  64-bit array dims and indexing:     false

configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found.  This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: qrupdate not found.  The QR & Cholesky updating functions
will be slow.
configure: WARNING: AMD library not found.  This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: COLAMD library not found.  This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: CCOLAMD library not found.  This will result in some lack
of functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: CHOLMOD library not found.  This will result in some lack
of functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: CXSparse library not found.  This will result in some lack
of functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: ARPACK not found.  The eigs function will be disabled.
configure: WARNING: GLPK library not found.  The glpk function for solving
linear programs will be disabled.
configure: WARNING: GraphicsMagick++ library not found.  The imread function
for reading image files will not be fully functional.
configure: WARNING: HDF5 library not found.  Octave will not be able to save or
load HDF5 data files.
configure: WARNING: PCRE library not found.  This will result in some loss of
functionality for the regular expression matching functions.
configure: WARNING: Qhull library not found -- this will result in loss of
functionality of some geometry functions.
configure: WARNING: I didn't find ghostscript, but it's only a problem if you
need to reconstruct figures for the manual
configure: WARNING: building documentation disabled; make dist will fail
configure: WARNING: Fontconfig library not found.  Native graphics will be
disabled.
configure: WARNING: FLTK config script not found.  Native graphics will be
disabled.
configure: WARNING:
configure: WARNING: I didn't find the necessary libraries to compile native
configure: WARNING: graphics.  It isn't necessary to have native graphics,
configure: WARNING: but you will need to have gnuplot installed or you won't
configure: WARNING: be able to use any of Octave's plotting commands
configure: WARNING:
configure:
configure: NOTE: libraries may be skipped if a library is not found OR
configure: NOTE: if the library on your system is missing required features.