Re: bootstrap fails for mingw build (requires git!?)

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: bootstrap fails for mingw build (requires git!?)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 19:23:17 +0900 (JST)

Hello

I'm now working in the directory tree like
 -a-+octave

    +octave-work

    +gnulib

*************************************
cd ../a./gnulib
git pull

cd ../a
hg pull http://www.octave.org/hg/octave
hg update

rm -rf octave-work
hg clone octave octave-work

cd octave-work
(attach local patch if required)
./autogen.sh --copy --gnulib-srcdir=../gnulib
**********************************

The above consume workspace but handling is easy to make changeset etcs.
Why I use --copy option I use cygwin  for (git, hg and) autogen.sh.

The above is mere an example.  You can construct you favorite environment.

Regards

Tatsuro

--- "John W. Eaton"  wrote:

> On 20-Jan-2011, benjamin lindner wrote:
>
> | I tried to build octave for MinGW platform with latest tip, but
> | bootstrapping now fails, since apparently this now requires git
> | available.
> | The fail is introduced with this changeset (rev 11521)
> | http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/00fe5069b70e
> |
> | Going back to rev 11520 everything works fine.
> |
> | I used to invoke autoconf as
> | ./autogen.sh --gnulib-srcdir=path/to//gnulib --skip-po --copy
> | but this now yields the error:
> |
> |   bootstrapping...
> |   Error: 'git' not found
> |
> |   Please install the prerequisite programs
> |
> | I also tried to add the option '--no-bootstrap-sync' with no success.
> |
> | Is there a way to use gnulib *without* requiring git?
> | Or am I using the bootstrap script the wrong way around?
>
> Does your gnulib directory have a subdirectory named .git in it?  If
> so, try moving that aside and see if it works then.
>
> If you'd like for there to be an option to pass to bootstrap to
> accomplish the same thing, then request that from the gnulib
> maintainers, or submit a patch for the bootstrap script to them and
> explain why it is needed.  Are you using git to pull the gnulib
> sources on another system, and using them on one that does not have
> git installed?  That seems like it could be a fairly common thing to
> do, so having an option that would not require you to remove or rename
> the .git subdirectory seems like a useful thing.
>
> jwe

Get the new Internet Explorer 8 optimized for Yahoo! JAPAN
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/ie8/