Re: Default menus for fltk backend

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Default menus for fltk backend
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:17:02 +0100

tir, 14 12 2010 kl. 11:17 -0500, skrev Judd Storrs:
> > All menu entries should work, except for the Help menu, where I have
> > added placeholder for an about entry. It would be nice if we could add some
> > internet resources there as well (home, docs, bugs, chat(?), ...) but for
> > that we need a generic browser function which must work on all platforms.
>
> Do you expect this to call up an internal browser or simply open a
> page in the user's web browser? If the latter perhaps we could model
> something similar to the PAGER() function that is used in the terminal
> [BROWSER()]?

If we have a variable setting which browser to use I would recommend
that we default to

  xdg-open

on Linux.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that if we want to link to stuff like
this, then I think we should distribute HTML files with Octave. This is
of course a shame-less advertisement for the 'generate-html' package
which is designed for generated HTML version of the documentation. We
could incorporate that into the Octave release process if we decide to
distribute HTML page along with Octave.

Soren