Re: Avoiding or speeding up full tree recompilations

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Avoiding or speeding up full tree recompilations
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 11:48:02 -0600

2010/12/13 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
> On 13-Dec-2010, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>
> | Whenever someone touches any build files, I think, a full tree
> | recompilation ensues. E.g. touching foo.mk in order to add some bar.m
> | seems to trigger this.
> |
> | In the interest of economising CPU cycles and slowing down the heat
> | death of the universe, can this be helped?
>
> If you think that the dependency information is incorrect,

I don't understand the build system. Maybe I should try again to
understand it. Or maybe I'm doing it wrong. You people don't recompile
the full tree frequently? I do, and I wish I could prevent it or
alleviate it. I'm sorry if I don't know if the dependencies are wrong,
I only know I don't like the symptoms: frequent full tree
recompilations. If it can't be helped, it can't be helped, but I want
to know this first. I don't see anyone else complaining about frequent
full tree recompilations, so maybe it's PEBKAC on my side.

- Jordi G. H.