Re: Comparing plots to Matlab

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Comparing plots to Matlab
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 12:17:08 -0500

On Dec 1, 2010, at 5:42 PM, Søren Hauberg wrote:

> Hi All
>
> For determining if our plotting system works, we currently have
> 'rundemos' which can be used to run the demos of our plotting functions.
> The results can then be visually inspected to see if they are good.
> However, I find it rather to figure out if the visual results are
> correct.
>
> To somewhat ease this I made a script that behaves quite similarly to
> 'rundemos'. However, instead of running the demoes it generates a script
> that contains the demos along with code for printing the generated
> figures to PNG files. The current version of this script is attached.
>
> I have then tried to run the generated script in Octave with the gnuplot
> backend (it crashes the FLTK backend) and in Matlab. This gives us a set
> of directly comparable PNG files. I have put these on
>
>  http://octave.sourceforge.net/compare_plots/
>
> In general, results seems quite good, though not perfect. On this page,
> you'll sometimes see missing figures. In the script I put try-catch'es
> around the individual demos, so if a demo fails no figure is generated.
>
> Søren
> <dump_demos.m>

I modified your script a bit. I'm able to produce all the FLTK (1.1.10) plots
except for hold_5_1 which reliably seg-faults or me. I've attached the script
for those interested.

The changes I made are (1) check that a png file exists before issuing the
print command, (2) provide local versions of sombrero, wblpdf, vec, and cstrcat
to simplify running under Matlab, (3) turn "more off" and report the progress
of the output to the console, and (4) I've added the pause() statements and
removed the sleep() statement as I understood they should be form Soren's and
jwe's earlier emails.

Since producing hold_5_1.png produced a seg-fault, I created that using
gnuplot. This allowed the remaining FLTK plots to be produced.

Ben