Re: a small fix for hist.m

From: bpabbott
Subject: Re: a small fix for hist.m
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 14:32:47 +0000 (GMT)

On Dec 01, 2010, at 09:20 AM, Doug Stewart <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2010, at 8:24 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> here is the new diff
>>> Is there anything else I should do?
>>> <hist.diff>
>>
>> The help text can be improved by changes such as ....
>>
>> -## With one vector input argument, plot a histogram of the values
>> +## With one vector input argument, @var{y}, plot a histogram of the values
>>
>> If you're up to a bug fix, it looks to me like the example below does not produce the correct result.
>>
>> y = randn (1, 1000);
>> x = [0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 0.7 0.9];
>> hist (y, x)
>>
>> Matlab gives the attached result. Its not immediately clear to me how the bin widths are determined.
>>
>> Ben
>> <hist.pdf>
>
> I need my morning coffee .. but it looks like the edges of the bins are centered between adjacent values for "x", with the outer most edges extending to encompass all values of "y".
>
> Ben

Yes that is what I see now.

So for non uniform bin spacing
- find max and min
- find point half way between each given point
- construct a group of ranges from the above
- count how many are in each of these non uniform ranges.
Does this look like something we should implement?
If yes I will work on it latter.
Doug

Yes, I think this should behave as ML does.

Ben