NEWS and fltk text objects

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: NEWS and fltk text objects
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 20:59:58 -0400

On 23-Oct-2010, Ben Abbott wrote:

| The NEWS file contains the following ...
|
| >  ** New experimental OpenGL/FLTK based plotting system.
| >
| >     An experimental plotting system based on OpenGL and the FLTK
| >     toolkit is now part of Octave.  This backend is disabled by
| >     default.  You can switch to using it with the command
| >
| >         backend ("fltk")
| >
| >     for all future figures or for a particular figure with the command
| >
| >         backend (h, "fltk")
| >
| >     where "h" is a valid figure handle.  Please note that this backend
| >     does not yet support text objects.  Obviously, this is a necessary
| >     feature before it can be considered usable.  We are looking for
| >     volunteers to help implement this missing feature.
|
| Should the mention of text objects be removed?

I fixed that.

I also removed the following entry from the NEWS file.  It doesn't
make sense to me to write that the fltk backend is new, and that it
"now implements some features".  Which features should be listed?  All
the features of the fltk backend are new since the fltk backend itself
is new...

    The fltk graphics backend now implements the following callback
    properties: keypressfcn, keyreleasefcn, windowbuttondownfcn,
    windowbuttonmotionfcn, windowbuttonupfcn, and currentpoint.  These
    enable keyboard and mouse interaction, an example of which can be
    seen in the __fltk_ginput__.m script.

| ... should the lack of color contours be mentioned here, anything else?

I think that we should fix that bug before 3.4 is released.  I've
already filed a bug report about it.  Maybe I should tag it as a
blocker in the bug tracker?