Re: wait_for_file ?? [GL2PS error: Bad file pointer]

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: wait_for_file ?? [GL2PS error: Bad file pointer]
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 19:40:41 +0200

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 4:06 AM, Michael D Godfrey
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Shai,
>
> Good you are back.  I hope you remember this problem:
>
> octave:1> plot(1:200)
> Xlib:  extension "NV-GLX" missing on display ":1187.0".
> octave:2> print("testpdf.pdf");
> GL2PS error: Bad file pointer
> panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
> attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
> save to `octave-core' complete
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> [qss:octave]
> ===============================
> The detailed report on this is now a few weeks old.  Would you
> like a fresh gdb bt, or any other information?
>
> This error only occurs if X11 or other screen-related stuff
>  takes a long time.  Examples are NX or ssh over a DSL line.

I think you hit a bug in the nvidia display driver and/or NX. The error:
Xlib:  extension "NV-GLX" missing on display ":1187.0".
tells it all: the high display number (1187) hints you are using NX
(ssh is normal in the 10-20 range).
The Xserver is behaving badly (maybe the NV-GLX module has crashed?).
After that error there is no chance of anything related to OpenGL
working.
Do you have other OpenGL application with which you can verify this
behavior? After you get this error does glxgears work?

Shai