Re: surface cdata property restricted to double or uint8

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: surface cdata property restricted to double or uint8
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:09:36 +0100

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
> If I see right, however, you save the space for lda doubles, but there
> are already two arrays of 3*lda doubles around (cmapv and av), which
> means you'll save 14% memory at best. That is really not much in
> Octave's context. I would likewise prefer the simpler change.

Don't think it's true. cmapv is just a pointer to the internal figure colormap
array, which already exists (no temp array created) and is *not* of size 3*lda.
"NDArray a" is actually the only array created in that function.

That function was written with both memory and performance in mind, as it
called on every redraw (this also means for instance when rotation), and
the amount of data (cdata) can be quite large.

Michael.