Building tip on Freebsd -- nagging configure error... please help!

From: forkandwait
Subject: Building tip on Freebsd -- nagging configure error... please help!
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 07:10:47 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Again,

Sorry to be boorish, but I can't figure out why I am unable to build the
development code in FreeBSD.  Could someone smarter than me please help me
figure this out?

Here is what happens (I can send output files if necessary, but they are big):

I cd into the hg directory (~/SOURCES/octave).

I run ./autogen, which gives no indication of erroring out.

Then I run:

./configure --prefix=/opt/octave-hg/ --with-blas=/usr/local/lib/libblas.so
--with-lapack=/usr/local/lib/liblapack.so

This bombs with the error:

config.status: error: cannot find input file: Makefile.in

I have also tried running aclocal in the top level, as well as specifying a
specially installed automake with version 1-11, both with no luck.

TIA.