An Octave advertisement

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: An Octave advertisement
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:41:58 -0500

It is my experience that most people who use Matlab at least are aware
of some "free Matlab clone called Octave", outside of that most people
within the larger technical community may have heard the word "Matlab"
and know it's some sort of mathematical program, but have no idea what
Octave is.

I am flirting with the idea of putting up an Octave advertisement on
LWN, a news site dedicated to free software. I am curious to see if
perhaps there is some kernel hacker or similar out there who while not
directly involved with numerical work, perhaps is still interested in
helping us with this or that feature of Octave. The text ad has a
character limit of 120, so I was thinking:

    GNU Octave needs hackers and numericists! If you can do C++, GNU
    autotools, Fortran, OpenGL, or MATLAB, help us out!

and a link to the Help Wanted page or its equivalent in hg. Note that
due to the character limit, there is no space to explain what Octave
is, so I put the word "MATLAB" in there as an attention-grabbing hint.

The ad is quite cheap and seems appropriate for LWN. Of course I'll
pay for it myself.

How does this sound?
- Jordi G. H.