Re: Logos proposal

From: Ben Barrowes
Subject: Re: Logos proposal
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 07:32:38 -0400

On Friday 25 June 2010 09:06:15 Fotios Kasolis wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2010, at 2:35 PM, Ben Barrowes wrote:
> > Fotios,
> >
> > I realize I didn't send cc this to you. Any thoughts on this logo? I had
> > to use a ps file for the OC part.
> >
> > Any what about jwe's signature E as the final E?
> >
> > bb
> >

> > From: Ben Barrowes <address@hidden>
> > Date: June 21, 2010 4:23:52 PM GMT+02:00
> > To: address@hidden
> > Cc: address@hidden
> > Subject: Re: Logos proposal

> >> It would be nice to keep the \infty somehow, possibly in the background.
> >> However, notice that the combination of O anc C almost comprise an
> >> infinity symbol. Any way to combine them enough to result in a dual
> >> purpose combination? To be read both as OC and as an \infty depending on
> >> how you look at it. It also helps that the super T sets of the OC before
> >> it already.
> >>
> >> FWIW, I like the forall, making sense to both those who know what it
> >> means and those who don't but can still see it is meant to stand for an
> >> A.
> >>
> >> The e is the last letter to have a special purpose. Eaton comes to mind.
> >> Any way to make an attribution here?
> >
> > Here is an example using a figure for the \infty.
> >
> > \includegraphics[width=.4cm,height=.27cm]{infonly_c1}$\hspace{-0.02cm}^{\
> >text{\footnotesize
> > T}}\hspace{-0.02cm}\bm{\forall}\mathcal{V}\hspace{-0.04cm}\mathcal{E}$
> >

> > <logo_stuff_con.png><infonly_c1.ps>
>
> I saw and already did it (do not have it but if people like yours i can do
> it in 1 hour at most) BUT i fixed the infty through vector program instead
> of latex so that i can really make it the way you want it ;D.
>
> What about small caps rotated by -pi/2      "A T O N +"  next to E
>
> Other idea could be
>
> Make an oriented artistic line that jumps from E to A to T to O (the
> already existing letters of the word octave) and points to a last N
> somewhere?
>
> /Fotios

I would really like to see the version you mention with a \infty cut out. And
with the underline
like we had before (the B+W version).

Both of the ways you mention to make an attribution to Eaton seem to me to make
things too busy,
i.e. too many lines... at least when I try to imagine what you describe. Maybe
we could just leave
it as a script "E" in some font, maybe a little taller than the \forall and v.
That would stand it
out a bit and we could drop in an "E" more like jwe's signature "E" at any time.