Re: Book project

From: Robert T. Short
Subject: Re: Book project
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:54:47 -0700

I tried to pitch "Signal Processing and Communications using Octave" to a few publishers. I didn't try O'Reilly, since I don't think they are a serious scientific publisher, but the response was very lukewarm. Things like "what about MATLAB?" were common responses. I put that project aside because Wiley accepted a different proposal.

If you want to make a formal book out of the octave user's manual, O'Reilly is probably a good choice. I hope everyone understands that writing a book is a monumental effort. Even redoing the manual into a formal publication will be an enormous job. Very, very worthwhile, but a serious effort.

Bob

forkandwait wrote:
John W. Eaton<jwe<at>  octave.org>  writes:

I think it would be great to have books focused on Octave.  It doesn't
matter that there are N books about Matlab.
Has anyone in the core group for Octave ever pitched O'Reilly?  It seems like it
would get be an obvious choice for them ("Open source mathematical programming
with Octave").  Include a chapter on analyzing server logs with an SVD thing
like Netflix and it would have immediate appeal to both their core audience and
all the matlab geeks out there.