Re: thoughts on onCleanup and handle classes

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: thoughts on onCleanup and handle classes
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:22:16 +0200

> Matlab 2009b says:
>
>>> c = onCleanup (1)
>
> c =
>
>  onCleanup handle
>
>  Properties:
>    task: 1
>

>>> clear c
>>>
> ==============================

Huh. I think this is a very bad idea, and I vote against copying it.
This will allow bugs like the following (which I think is very easily
made) to go unnoticed:

fid = fopen ("myfile.txt");
cleanup = onCleanup (fclose (fid));  % bug, but you can easily overlook it

also, the Matlab docs say that the argument should be a function
handle, there's no mention about anything else.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer