Deprecate cut()?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Deprecate cut()?
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 00:18:24 -0400

On  5-Apr-2010, forkandwait wrote:

| An aside: There seem to be a lot of bugs that haven't been picked up
| at the bug tracker,

That's funny to me, because there used to be a lot of bug reports that
were ignored when we were only using the mailing list, except that
probably only a few people noticed.

I think it is a good thing that the tracker shows you how many reports
have not been addressed.

I don't think that it is a bad thing that we seem to be seeing an
increase in the number of bug reports.  I think it means we have an
increasing number of users.  Have you checked the number of open bug
reports for widely used projects like firefox or GCC?  If you file a
bug report for those projects, are you annoyed when they are not
handled for you immediately (and for free)?  If they are not handled
quickly, do you try prodding the developer's by posting to their
mailing list?

Also, I no longer feel compelled to try to close all the open bug
reports myself.  When the record of open bug reports was the
collection of unaswered mail in my octave-bugs email folder, I did
feel some sense of obligation to fix all of them (whether I should
have or not is a separate issue).  But now the situation for me is
much better because I feel less stressed about the backlog of reports.
It also clearly shows that more people must become involved in order
for bugs to be fixed.  And I do see more people becoming involved and
fixing problems.  That can only be good for the community.