Re: Patches for MSVC

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Patches for MSVC
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 23:27:15 +0000

2010/3/26 Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden>:
> Hello
>
> --- Dominque Kande Vita  wrote:
>
>> thank you for these fantastic patch, so for newbies who are still using MSCV.
>>
>> can give a link/tutorial on how to use octave with VC++ ?
>
> Perhaps Michael is now preparing the MSVC version of octave for next major
> release (octave-3.4?).

No, I'm not.

Compiling octave (and the zillions dependencies) under MSVC
is far from straightforward. You need a specific toolchain (I built
my own over the last few years), you need to patch dependencies,
to patch octave, to patch libtool, to patch gnulib. For various
reasons, all this information is not publicly available.

So, unless you definitely need an MSVC-compiled octave, you
should consider using the MinGW-compiled version available.

Michael.