Re: offscreen rendering with gl-render - pls advice

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: offscreen rendering with gl-render - pls advice
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 22:56:15 +0200

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Benjamin Lindner <address@hidden> wrote:

   (2) I'm becoming a fan of pgf/tikz, which would require a latex
   install to render to ps/pdf/etc.

          http://sourceforge.net/projects/pgf/reviews/

Looks nice, but apart from the LaTeX run-time requirement, someone needs to code it (It is a completely new backend not based on gl-render/OpenGL), not a small task.

Hmm, I'm not really a fan of having LateX a requirement to get printed plots with octave. This is IMO 1) too much of an overkill and 2) sounds veeery slow.

Furthermo, on a Windows system one cannot really expect to have it installed so probably in 9 out of 10 cases it's an add-on requirement.

Does it require to be a gl->hardcopy library?
gnuplot for example uses the pango/cairo libraries to generate png and pdf output. Would that be an option?

benjamin
Everything is an option, it's just that OpenGL is already implemented, and all the other stuff will have to be written from scratch by someone with enough time on their hands. Specifically cairo produces excellent graphics, but as far as I know, does not support 3D which means someone will have to also to write the 3D -> 2D projection part

Shai