Re: fast scatter plots - advice sought

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: fast scatter plots - advice sought
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 21:15:00 +0100

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 3:06 PM, dbateman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ok, so given this and the feedback from Shai both scatter and the gnuplot
> backend do the wrong thing here. I'll fix this over the weekend.
>
> Thanks
> David

I didn't quite follow the information flow, but I noted that if in
Matlab you do scatter (x, y, s, c) where x, y, c are long column
vectors and s is a scalar, Matlab creates a single patch that can
handle the varying color, through property VertexCData or something
like that. Is this possible for Octave? If so, then in this case one
would not need to split by unique colors and sizes, but just by sizes,
which would probably be much faster when variable colors are used.

OTOH, when colors are specified as a full RGB Nx3 array, Matlab (2007)
seems to invariably make one patch per point.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer