Re: Oplot a backend for Octave

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Oplot a backend for Octave
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 17:25:02 +0100

tor, 07 01 2010 kl. 06:57 -0800, skrev Ole Jacob Hagen:
> I am developing a graphical backend to octave named Oplot.
> Oplot can plot most of graphical objects using opengl_renderer. I can also
> rotate, pan and zoom on Oplot. I can also rotate, pan and zoom on a selected
> axes object even I have multiple axes in one figure (a subplot).
>
> Oplot is based on Qt4, which can be compiled with mingw or MSVC on windows.
> Is there any msvc and mingw compiled octave-3.3-50 out there?

Does this utilise the current OpenGL code which is used by the FLTK
backend? In general, how does Oplot relate to the FLTK backend?

> I can also create jpeg, png images of plots using Qt's builtin
> functionality. An example is shown here:
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27061261/sombrero_subplot.png

It should be possible to render the OpenGL plots to a buffer in memory,
and then write this buffer to disk using the image writing capabilities
already present in Octave (via GraphicsMagick). This way, it would be
possible to share this feature with other backends.

> Why does print.m use gnuplot related commands? This means that gnuplot is
> mandatory as a installation during file generation with print.m! Shouldn't
> the backend fix the printing functionality?
> Shouldn't gnuplot just be a backend, and not the primary application for
> file generation of figures?

The work on the graphics backends is still work-in-progress. The OpenGL
code only recently got preliminary support for printing, so there hasn't
been a great incentive to make 'print' backend specific. I'm sure
patches will be accepted, though :-)

> I'm planning on releasing Oplot shortly on both Linux (32, 64 bit), and
> Windows (32 and 64).
> Oplot will be released after I've added more functionality to the gui, and
> this is tested. ;-)
> But I believe that Oplot should be released after 0ctave-3.4.0 has been
> released. ;-)

Why not work on integrating your work with Octave (I assume your code is
GPL?) ?

Soren