Re: opengl and images

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: opengl and images
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:16:15 +0200

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Søren Hauberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> tir, 06 10 2009 kl. 08:05 +0200, skrev Søren Hauberg:
>> tir, 06 10 2009 kl. 07:39 +0200, skrev Shai Ayal:
>> > Yet another workaround is to use mesa software rendering. In debian,
>> > this worked for me:
>> > apt-get install libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev libgl1-mesa-swx11-i686
>> > However, this will disable opengl hardware acceleration, which might
>> > be a high price to pay.
>>
>> Yeah, at least for me this is not an option. I'm working fairly close
>> with graphics / physics-simulation people at the moment, so I'm highly
>> dependent on OpenGL :-(
>>
>> I guess the proper cause of action depends on how many people are
>> actually experiencing this issue. If I'm the only one, then I guess it
>> doesn't make sense to invest too much work here.
>
> For some reason the Intel graphics driver broke for me recently. I have
> one of these fancy laptops that both have an Intel and an AMD graphics
> card, so I've changed to use the AMD card (using the FGLRX driver).
>
> Using this card / driver I still see the issue where the image is on top
> of the plot. So, this is not a driver issue.

The only easy solution I see now is the one I suggested before --
displaying the image as a surface.
At least on my debian/nvidia system this is significantly slower.
While using the OpenGL draw pixels command allows me to smoothly zoom
and pan a 4 Megapixel photograph, doing so with a similarly sized
surface is quite slow and jumpy.

Shai