fltk-config for windows gives -mwindows flag (was octave-3.3.50 built by

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: fltk-config for windows gives -mwindows flag (was octave-3.3.50 built by mingw-gcc-4.4.0 cannot be executed.)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:19:56 +0900 (JST)

Hello

--- Tatsuro MATSUOKA  wrote:
> I have built octave-3.3.50 mingw-gcc-4.4.0.
>
> At the prompt I execute octave from the prompt
>
> $ octave
>
> $
>
> Octave starts but finishes soon without any messages.

This problem caused by the linker flags acquired from fltk-config.

  FLTK backend libs:    -L/c/Programs/OctaveBuild/lib -mwindows
-Lc:/Programs/OctaveBuild/lib
-Lc:/Programs/WinDevTools/lib -Lc:/Programs/GnuWin32/lib -mno-cygwin
-Wl,--enable-auto-import
-Wl,--enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc -lfltk_gl -lglu32-lopengl32 -lfltk -lpthread
-lole32 -lcomctl32

The above incules -mwindows and this flag made it impossible to startup octave.

Similar problem occur console mode gnuplot 4.3 for windows with wxt terminal.
See

http://www.nabble.com/console-mode-gnuplot-for-windows-with-wxt-doen-not-work-(gnuplot-4.3---mingw)-td25536073.html

http://www.nabble.com/Patch-for-makefile.mgw-for-console-mode-of-gnuplot-4.3-for-windows-td25643747.html

First I have kick out this problem by tweaking wx-config, by which 'make' of
gnuplot gets linker flag.
 However, this kind of tweaking is better to be avoided if possible.

I have discussed linker option problem with the developer of wxWidgets. He
proposed to use
-Wl,--subsystem,console option to override of -mwindows.

In the gnuplot case, I now propose two patches
FIrst:
-       WX_LIBS = $(shell wx-config --libs)
+       WX_LIBS = $(shell wx-config --libs | sed -e 's/ -Wl,--subsystem,windows
-mwindows//')
Second:
        WX_LIBS = $(shell wx-config --libs)
+       ifdef PIPES
+               WX_LIBS += -Wl,--subsystem,console
+       endif

In case that I consider the patch for fltk-config for windows, is which way is
better?

Regards

Tatsuro

Yahoo! JAPAN - Internet Security for teenagers and parents.
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/security/