fltk and fonts

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: fltk and fonts
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 13:35:30 -0400

On  5-Sep-2009, Michael D Godfrey wrote:

| > What do the following return on your system?
| >
| >    get (0, "defaultaxesfontname")
| >    get (0, "defaulttextfontname")
| >

| octave:1> get (0, "defaultaxesfontname")
| ans = *
| octave:2> get (0, "defaulttextfontname")
| ans = *
| ==================================
| What do you get for these?

"*" is the default, which for Octave means "use the default font".
As you noted in another message, Matlab uses "Helvetica", but that
seems to cause more trouble since many people do not have Helvetica
and we would have to substitute anyway.

Ugh.  I don't want to have to think about all these details.
Something like fontconfig should handle it for us.

| Odd. I just clicked on the link in your email and the expected page came
| up.  Maybe try a Google search on:
| Shipping fonts in Fedora (FAQ)
| which is the title of the page.

OK, I looked at that page, but it seems like advice for people who
want to create packages containing fonts.

I guess what I'm leaning toward now is not including any fonts in
Octave.  Instead we should require fontconfig, and assume that it is
set up to do the right thing.  I'm not sure what configure changes
will be needed.  For binary packages, I think it is up to the packager
to get the dependencies right for the given system (debian, fedora,
windows, whatever).