R: Changeset: LD_PRELOAD on run-octave.in and cygwin documentation

From: Marco Atzeri
Subject: R: Changeset: LD_PRELOAD on run-octave.in and cygwin documentation
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:08:20 +0000 (GMT)

--- Gio 3/9/09, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> Da: John W. Eaton <address@hidden>
> Oggetto: Changeset: LD_PRELOAD on run-octave.in and cygwin documentation
> A: "Marco Atzeri" <address@hidden>
> Cc: "octave maintainers list" <address@hidden>
> Data: Giovedì 3 settembre 2009, 16:53
> On  3-Sep-2009, Marco Atzeri
> wrote:
>
> | order and separator change on run-octave.in
> |
> | -LD_PRELOAD="$liboctinterp $liboctave $libcruft" \
> | +LD_PRELOAD="$libcruft:$liboctave:$liboctinterp" \
>
> The change in order is probably OK, but I'm not sure about
> making an
> unconditional change from spaces to colons for
> separators.  The man
> page for ld.so on my Debian system specifically says that
> LD_PRELOAD
> is a whitespace-separated list.  Same for the ld.so
> man page I found
> for Solaris on the web.  Although it is not
> documented, my system also
> allows :, but I'm not sure about other systems.  Can
> someone with
> access to a Solaris system check?

LD_PRELOAD should be both a colon-separated or space-separated
but I lost the reference to the relevant document.

Of course it is also possible the some system don't like
the colon-separated as cygwin don't like the space-separated;
in this case the change is not acceptable.

> | plus dedicated comment on README.Cygwin.
>
> If we make some change in the run-octave script, then I
> don't think
> all the notes you added are necessary.

If we change run-octave fine, otherwise the change in
README.Cygwin should be enough to advise the next that
falls on this cygwin peculiarity.

> Since the run-octave script is generated, how about fixing
> the
> commands that generate the LD_PRELOAD line so that your
> change is only
> made for Cygwin systems?

no problem, I have just no clue how to do it.

> jwe

Marco