autoconf-2.64 required?

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: autoconf-2.64 required?
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 01:04:21 -0500

Autoconf 2.64 is really very new; though by the time Octave 3.4 will
be released, it may already be widespread.
However, in this case apparently it's just m4_ifblank and m4_ifnblank
missing, so an easy remedy is to steal them out from autoconf 2.64 and
define them ourselves if they're not there:
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/691545147aca

this enables use of autoconf 2.63 for me.

Wait a second...

First, shouldn't a copyright notice be given if hunks of autoconf are moved
into Octave?

Second, for years I've occassionally (well, more than occassionally) fallen behind in
autoconf or some other tool and the only deference I got from the list was to
"download the latest version of autoconf".  (autoconf is not that difficult to
keep up to date.)  Now we start adding little hunks to work around this issue?  Avoiding
using the new macro is fine, but pulling in patches seems bad practice.

If anything, an expiration date (i.e., a note/date saying remove this a year or
two from now) should be put on that hunk of code so that someone can take it
out when it is extraneous.

Dan