Re: linking liboctave fails (lapack missing?)

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: linking liboctave fails (lapack missing?)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 18:13:32 -0400

On Aug 19, 2009, at 4:34 PM, Thomas Treichl wrote:

Ben Abbott schrieb:
On Aug 18, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Thomas Treichl wrote:
John W. Eaton schrieb:
On 15-Aug-2009, Thomas Treichl wrote:
| John W. Eaton schrieb:
| > It would be helpful if people building Octave on Windows and OS X | > systems could configure and build the latest Octave sources on and | > send a list of symbols that are unresolved when creating the libcruft, | > liboctave, liboctinterp shared libraries, when linking the Octave
| > executable file, and when building the .oct files.
| | Here are the results for OS X (currently I cannot tell you anything about the | CURL and GLPK dependencies - these libs are not found by ./configure at the | moment - seems because of missing -lz in the test procedure):
I checked in changes that should fix this.  Can you check?

I will John, but I think I need another day for doing that. Yesterday I changed src/Makefile.in for myself and was able to compile all of the Octave sources. This is just FYI, I've attached 9534.diff which is the "hg diff -r 9534 src/Makefile.in >9534.diff".
Thought I'd mention that I've been attempting builds every day or two, with the tip below I'm able to build again.
changeset:   9537:592a959b68e5
tag:         tip
user:        John W. Eaton <address@hidden>
date:        Mon Aug 17 17:24:21 2009 -0400
summary: octave-bug.in, octave-bug.cc.in: update for recent configure changes

Hi Ben, hello John,

this sounds good but I still have some problems: In the ./configure test libarpack is not found anymore because my libarpack is compiled against $(BLAS_LIBS) ?and? $(LAPACK_LIBS). I changed configure.in - like attached in configure.in.diff - now I successfully pass this configure test. BTW, I'm working with

I don't have much spare time for Octave at the moment, but ... my attempt to build from sources I pulled on the 17th failed while building liboctinterp.dylib

Undefined symbols:
 "__gfortran_st_write", referenced from:
     _xerbla_ in xerbla.o
 "__gfortran_transfer_character", referenced from:
     _xerbla_ in xerbla.o
 "__gfortran_st_write_done", referenced from:
     _xerbla_ in xerbla.o
 "__gfortran_transfer_integer", referenced from:
     _xerbla_ in xerbla.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [liboctinterp.dylib] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

$ hg tip
changeset:   9546:8670e55078fd
tag:         tip
user:        Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden>
date:        Mon Aug 17 14:46:18 2009 +0200
summary:     allow constructing octave_value_list from size

Ben