Re: plot issues -> favor pdfcairo [new changeset 2]

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: plot issues -> favor pdfcairo [new changeset 2]
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:06:29 -0400

On Jun 15, 2009, at 3:35 AM, Benjamin Lindner wrote:

Ethan Merritt wrote:
On Wednesday 10 June 2009 07:46:08 Benjamin Lindner wrote:
Ben Abbott wrote:
On Wednesday, June 10, 2009, at 09:11AM, "Benjamin Lindner" <address@hidden > wrote:
Ben Abbott wrote:
On Jun 10, 2009, at 5:02 AM, Benjamin Lindner wrote:

plot(0:0.1:10, sin(0:0.1:10), "@-;sin;", 0:0.1:10, cos(0:0.1:10), "@-;cos;");
print -depsc2 -debug:print.eps.log test.eps
print -dpsc2 -debug:print.ps.log  test.ps
print -dpng  -debug:print.png.log  test.png
print -demf  -debug:print.emf.log  test.emf
print -dpdf   -debug:print.pdf.log test.pdf

I get now a pdfcairo and pngcairo output.

However the pdfcairo output seems buggy, since it consists of 3 pages: a blank first page, a second page with the expected graph and a blank third page.
Hmm, looks like a problem with gnuplot I guess.

benjamin
What version of gnuplot are you running?

I can run 4.2.2, 4.2.3, 4.2.4, 4.2,5 and 4.3.0 (current developers sources). If I can confirm the same behavior, I'll add "pdfcairo_is_broken" to __gnuplot_has_feature__ and switch to ghostrscript for that instance.

I have a 4.3.0 version, namely the CVS 2008-11-21 snapshot.

benjamin
Ok. I'm running developers sources that are less than a week old. I don't see the problem you reported.

Probably it has been fixed in CVS.
I hope there will be another gnuplot CVS snapshot, so I can include it in a octave 3.2.1 release.
Yes. There was a cairo terminal bug fixed 10 May 2009.
If you generate a snapshot, please use the 4.4 pre-release sources rather than the 4.3 sources. It is currently marked "alpha", but if you have a need for a more well-defined
version level we could bump that to "-rc1".
        Ethan

Ok, possibly dumb question: How do I get the 4.4 sources?
I'm doing a "cvs update -d" from the sourceforge sources as recommended on the gnuplot website. Correct?

For inclusion in an octave binary a snapshot would be good, because it makes support easier if there is a well-defined version bundled. I'm not a cvs expert, not even a mildly experienced user. I know from svn and mercurial, that there is a unique version or revision which characterizes the source tree, so if I check out today and compile a binary, I can tell which version of the source tree was used, even without a dedicated snapshot.
Is there an equivalent in cvs?

benjamin

I see the 4.4 branch does exist.

http://gnuplot.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gnuplot/gnuplot/term/x11.trm?view=log&pathrev=branch-4-4-stable

However, I'm a novice when it comes to selecting cvs branches. Using the command line, how to I select a particular branch?

... and is MAIN or GNUPLOT_BETA the default branch for development?

Ben

p.s. I've cc'd the gnuplot mail-list. We should remove that once the cvs questions are answered.