Re: plot and image demos (growing window)

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: plot and image demos (growing window)
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 21:39:00 -0400

On May 28, 2009, at 5:25 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 28-May-2009, Ben Abbott wrote:

| This looks like a feature of gnuplot. When a subsequent "set term
| x11 ..." command is encountered before the prior plot-stream completes
| there appears to be some unintended interaction between gnuplot and
| x11 which causes the window to grow.
|
| For example, try ...
|
|       for n=1:100; plot(1:1000); drawnow; end
|
| Adding the command "unset mouse" the the beginning of the plot- stream | eliminates the problem. Shall a "unset mouse" be added to be beginning | of each plot-stream? (changeset attached) ... If desired a "set mouse"
| may added at the end of the plot-stream. Unfortunately, I don't know
| of a good way to detect the state of "set/unset mouse". We could
| obtain the x11 window ID and ask x11 for the window size while
| toggling the mouse state, but is it worth the hassle?

No, I don't think it is worth it.

Even unset mouse/set mouse might not be worth it.  Is there an easy
way to demonstrate this bug with a simple gnuplot script?  If so, then
I'd say report it as a bug in gnuplot and we should not bother to work
around it in Octave.

jwe

I just checked gnuplot 4.2.4. The problem does not exist there.

It does exist in gnuplot 4.2.5. Although Octave is not using it, this version allow the plot window to be sized and positioned (I'll apply a changeset for that shortly). Thus, it is my expectation that this problem is with gnuplot ... even if I'm unable to reproduce it using only gnuplot :-(

Ben