Re: 3.2.0

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: 3.2.0
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 14:31:03 -0400

On 20-May-2009, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| At the moment, this is not in my plan to make further releases for
| Windows/MSVC. FSF has clearly stated that the way runtime libs
| are bundled in the installer is a GPL violation. Moreover, John
| has expressed his preference for Windows/MinGW, so I don't see
| the point of continuing producing Windows/MSVC binaries.

Yes, that is my preference, because then the Octave binary for Windows
would be free software that is also built with free software.

But the FSF seemed to say that it was OK to tell users to download and
install the runtime libraries, so if you want to distribute binaries
built with MSVC, then I think it is OK as long as the runtime
libraries are not included in the installer.