Re: bfgsmin iterations

From: Levente Torok
Subject: Re: bfgsmin iterations
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 23:09:05 +0200

On Wednesday 13 May 2009, you wrote:

>    // this is cache on feval to prevent the extra evaluation of the
>    // objective function when subsequent calls with exactly the same
> arguments would take place
>
> I think we have to be cautious with modifying feval to cache the results,
> because this
> makes two assumptions:
>
> - the function is 'functional' i.e. should return the same result given the
> same argument
>   This is not true e.g. for stochastical functions (monte carlo, etc).
>
> - the function has no side effects, i.e. doesn't change some global state.

You are correct from functional point of view.
However, due to the fact that fmins is intendeded for minimizing a function
over
the parameter space, which inherently assumes that the objective function is
stateless.

For the case of stochastic (MC) stuff, I think the same assumption applies, too.

Levente

--
Blogger of http://fapuma.blogspot.com