Re: Problem compiling sparse-xdiv.cc (typename)

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Problem compiling sparse-xdiv.cc (typename)
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 00:06:45 +0200

Michael Goffioul wrote:
On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
However, the code seems valid to me. I think that typename always
applies to the following qualified dependent name, regardless of any
operators following. So I suspect it's a MSVC++ bug. I think our
current (kind of unofficial) policy is that only the mainstream gcc
version is worth putting workarounds into Octave code itself (if the
code is otherwise OK).

Personally, I find that policy unfortunate, especially when you can
get the same result with something that could work on more compilers.
But I'm not the one who decides.
I thought the policy was more along the lines of the above except if the workaround was minimal and harmless for other compilers then accept it with a comment above the change.. That is of course if there was any policy at all..

D,

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)