Re: stable vs. experimental archive

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: stable vs. experimental archive
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 21:20:42 +0200

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Rob Mahurin <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2009, at 8:22 AM, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> following the conversation and my proposal
>>
>> http://www.nabble.com/stable-branch-release-policy--was-Re%3A-Possible-bug-in-intersect--td23009036.html#a23072785
>> I would like to carry on the discussion about setting up a second
>> official "experimental" repository to resolve issues with development
>> & stability. I see the following options:
>>
>> 1. create a secondary "experimental" repo on Savannah (if this can be
>> done)
>> 2. create an "experimental" branch in the savannah repo (and maybe
>> rename the "default" branch to "stable")
>> 3. host the "experimental" repo elsewhere (TW's)
>> X. forget about the stable & experimental proposal, use a different
>> development/maintenance model
>>
>> could you please share your opinions/votes? if anyone votes for X.,
>> please describe your idea.
>>
>> I think 1. is clearly winner if it can be done. 2 and 3 are
>> compromises. My vote is 2 if 1 is not possible.
>

> I think at least in principle that the version control tools for branching
> and merging should make (2) simpler than (1).  But I haven't quite grokked
> how this goes in mercurial, and I'm willing to be swayed the other way.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

The biggest problem of (2) is that seems impossible to do a
"one-sided" merge between branches. We will frequently want to merge
the stable version to the experimental one (to get the patches from
stable), but not vice versa - that will happen much less frequently. I
think this is not possible with branches - a merge is "symmetric",
belonging to both branches.
In fact I think I should change my prefs to 1-3-2 due to this problem.

regards

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer