Re: polytrans & polyscale

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: polytrans & polyscale
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:17:20 -0400

On Apr 8, 2009, at 3:05 AM, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

hi,

I recently added the functions polytrans (p(x) -> p(x+a)) and
polyscale (p(x) -> p(x*a)) to the scripts/polynomial, though they are
not yet added to the build process. Does anyone object to adding these
functions definitely? These are not in Matlab core, but then neither
is a number of other polynomial functions (polyint, polyout...).
Opinons wanted.

regards

I'd like to see them added to the core as well.

As pointed out by Thorsten these functions are implicitly implemented in polyfit/polyval already. I had the privilege of adding this functionality and had considered introducing such functions at that time.

Beyond that, I commonly make use of polynomials in my work. My two most common polynomial related problems are cure-fitting, and solving DEs (electrostatics in particular). Thus from my position these have broad application and would be useful to have in Octave's core.

Ben