Re: [OctDev] Functions in the core

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Functions in the core
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 03:16:07 -0500

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

Maybe we differ slightly in the view of the development archive. IMO
these are just patches that can easily be reverted. I didn't even yet
add the functions to the build process, so that they won't be
installed if someone uses a snapshot - they're just there for
development testing. So I don't really regard my act as true addition.
The discussion you call for has just started :)

Perhaps Hg and queues has changed the paradigm enough to necessitate some new
setup.

I don't basically object to a policy that the main archive should be
regarded as a more sacred place. But as I have explained earlier, IMO
this significantly clashes with the policy of having a linear archive,
which makes parallel development for a longer time quite difficult.
So, if that's going to happen, I think we should allow merges. I'll
then happily use my experimental repo for most of my development.
For instance, I've added a couple of new functions (and extended some)
without discussing with anyone, mostly for use in other functions. I
hope this is OK, at least nobody complained. Anyone is certainly free
to raise objections to any of my patches.

That's always been the case, but it's difficult to follow the many patches of
Octave.  (Things are really taking off.)  It's more a matter of people being
aware of the changes.  Anyway, discussing on OctaveForge and then moving the
result in Octave seems odd.

3. I don't understand the comment about translate being too general.
Can you elaborate? What other (mathematical) meanings "translate" has
other than move by a constant vector (i.e. a constant in 1D)?

You're right.  "Translate" has well understood meaning.  Multi-dimension as
well as 1D.

Dan