Re: Failure in eigs test with 3.1.54

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Failure in eigs test with 3.1.54
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:11:21 -0400

On 10-Mar-2009, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:

| * John W. Eaton <address@hidden> [2009-03-09 18:30]:
|
| > On  9-Mar-2009, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
| >
| > | octave3.1:4>  d0 = eig (A);
| > | error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of Octave's
| > | index type -- trying to return to prompt
| > |
| > | Before I start trying to debug the above, could someone please tell me
| > | whether this is an expected failure or not?
| >
| > No, it's not expected.  I can't reproduce it on my system (AMD64
| > system running Debian testing, updated in the last few days).
|
| The difference may come from the libraries.  I am using suitesparse 3.2.0-4
| and lapack 3.2.0-1, which are not in testing.  What about your system?

segfault:4263> dpkg -l '*suite*'
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name                      Version                   Description
+++-=========================-=========================-==================================================================
rc  libsuitesparse            3.0.0-7                   collection of libraries
for computations for sparse matrices
ii  libsuitesparse-3.1.0      1:3.1.0-3.1               collection of libraries
for computations for sparse matrices
ii  libsuitesparse-dev        1:3.1.0-3.1               collection of libraries
for computations for sparse matrices
un  libsuitesparse-metis      <none>                    (no description
available)
un  libsuitesparse-metis-dev  <none>                    (no description
available)
un  python-4suite             <none>                    (no description
available)
segfault:4264> dpkg -l '*lapack*'
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name                      Version                   Description
+++-=========================-=========================-==================================================================
rc  lapack                    3.0.20000531a-28          a library of linear
algebra routines - shared version
un  lapack-dev                <none>                    (no description
available)
un  lapack2                   <none>                    (no description
available)
rc  lapack3                   3.0.20000531a-6.1         library of linear
algebra routines 3 - shared version
pn  lapack3-dev               <none>                    (no description
available)
un  lapack3-doc               <none>                    (no description
available)
un  lapack99                  <none>                    (no description
available)
un  lapack99-dev              <none>                    (no description
available)
un  liblapack-3.so            <none>                    (no description
available)
un  liblapack-3gf.so          <none>                    (no description
available)
ii  liblapack-dev             3.1.1-6                   library of linear
algebra routines 3 - static version
un  liblapack.so.3            <none>                    (no description
available)
un  liblapack.so.3gf          <none>                    (no description
available)
ii  liblapack3gf              3.1.1-6                   library of linear
algebra routines 3 - shared version